About Gozo:

-Island of Gozo: Click Here

-Map of Gozo: Click Here

-Places of Interest: Victoria | Zebbug | Marsalforn | Ggantija | Xaghra | Ramla il-Hamra | Gharb | Ghasri | Kercem | Mgarr | Qala | Xewkija | Sannat | Xlendi |

-Usefull Links: Gozo Channel | Malta International Airport | Gozo Helicopter Service |

 


 

Contact:

Mr Anthony Bugeja
‘Dar il-Kenn’, Triq Jannar, Xaghra, Gozo, XRA 102, Malta.

info@gozo-choice.com

(+356) 27 56 39 87
(+356) 79 56 39 87

 
 
 
Marsalforn Bay
   

Marsalforn is a fishing village on the north coast which has developed into Gozo's most popular sea resort. Its small size means that everywhere is within walking distance, and can be very tranquil in the off-peak seasons.

Very popular with Gozitans, particularly on Sundays, and with Maltese visitors in summer, who tend to spend their weekends here. It is well serviced by restaurants, shops ,& diving centers..

   

From a seaside village frequented by a small number of prosperous fishermen, Marsalforn has now become Gozo`s Largest resort. The fishing village has gradually extended along the crescent -shaped rocky bay, and these days a hotel , lots of apartment blocks, souvenir shops are more prominent than a few fishing boats that dot the little harbor. The small beach attracts the crowds, but venture to the north west and you will find the bays of Qbajjar and Xwejni, much quieter for swimming. The salt pans all around here date from 1740 and are still in use, producing several tons of sea salt every year.

The name of this village bears its value as a seaport- "Marsa" means `port` or `bay` while forn derived from lifurna, an Arabic word for `ship`. A grand open view of Marsalforn area is viewable from the top of il-merzuq.

   

This volcano like hill has beckoned the attention of the people since 1901, when a large wooden cross was erected on its peak. Three years later, when Gozo was consecrated to Christ the Saviour, a stone statue of Christ replaced the cross . This was in turn replaced by a gigantic concrete statue towering twelve meteres above the hill, which has been re-named tas- Salvatur (Our Saviours Hill).

   

© 2006 Gozo-Choice.com

Designed & Hosted:
GozoServices.com